On Tuesday night at dinner Cole started vomiting which continued through the night. The next morning he was still throwing up so I took him in to see a doctor. He checked Cole over and sent him home with a prescription for phenergan suppositories. Eight hours later he still was not keeping any food down and hadn't gone to the bathroom in almost twelve hours so we decided it was time to visit our local emergency department. After drawing some labs and doing a CT scan they determined that he had appendecitis and twenty minutes later he was being wheeled into surgery. Before he went in he had plenty of questions about how much of his stomach they were going to take and how big the cut would be and if it was going to hurt. Most of all he wanted his breakfast, lunch and dinner when he came out because he hadn't been able to eat his meals and a rootbeer float. Surgery went well, but it still took almost eighteen hours and several medications for him to start keeping down anything. I stayed the night with Cole and than Curtis came to sit with him so that I could go home and shower and take care of Gabe and take the kids to school. As I was checking the kids in at school on my way back to the hospital one of the ladies in the school office asked the kids why they were late. Stanton said "my brother had surgery." The lady said "how sad, what kind." Stanton replied "he had his independence taken out." We all started to laugh. So after two days of vomiting Cole no longer has his independence, but he can finally eat again.
Thursday, April 23, 2009
Loss of Independence
On Tuesday night at dinner Cole started vomiting which continued through the night. The next morning he was still throwing up so I took him in to see a doctor. He checked Cole over and sent him home with a prescription for phenergan suppositories. Eight hours later he still was not keeping any food down and hadn't gone to the bathroom in almost twelve hours so we decided it was time to visit our local emergency department. After drawing some labs and doing a CT scan they determined that he had appendecitis and twenty minutes later he was being wheeled into surgery. Before he went in he had plenty of questions about how much of his stomach they were going to take and how big the cut would be and if it was going to hurt. Most of all he wanted his breakfast, lunch and dinner when he came out because he hadn't been able to eat his meals and a rootbeer float. Surgery went well, but it still took almost eighteen hours and several medications for him to start keeping down anything. I stayed the night with Cole and than Curtis came to sit with him so that I could go home and shower and take care of Gabe and take the kids to school. As I was checking the kids in at school on my way back to the hospital one of the ladies in the school office asked the kids why they were late. Stanton said "my brother had surgery." The lady said "how sad, what kind." Stanton replied "he had his independence taken out." We all started to laugh. So after two days of vomiting Cole no longer has his independence, but he can finally eat again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm sorry to hear Cole has been so sick and had to have surgery! Poor little guy! Tell him I hope he feels better quick! I love Stanton's comment. What cute kids!
ReplyDeleteStanton is too cute!! I am still cracking up!! Great picture of Cole, it really captures the experience!! Sweet thing!! Hope he gets his cinnamon rolls!! (store bought or homemade)
ReplyDelete